Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Birthday


Every year on my birthday my parents would recount the story of my birth. The name of the hospital, how I was delivered by a resident, blah..blah...blah.....and I would always think, these people are ridiculous. But the other day, while Noah was busy turning three, all I could think about were the events leading up to his delivery. How I went grocery shopping earlier in the day with Noelle and she said "don't let those heavy bags send you into labor". How I cried in front of Candice because she denied us a parking spot in the Avalon Wynhaven lot. and then I sat up late finishing an alphabet wall hanging for your room, that I would never put up. And than...two hours later, in my sleep, my water broke, and Pete ran around in a Panic. Somehow, we didn't even know that if water broke a baby would be born and we left for the hospital without a bag, without a camera. I remember what I wore and the tsunami news on the TV and Pete passed out in the recliner while you were born. and i remember how tiny you were and that you didn't have any baby fat and that i was scared to take you home. and i remember crying for days after that and thinking you were going to die and that there was never going to be any relief. That I would never do anything without you, and that I would never want to do anything without you. Your past three years have been my whole life, you're alive and I'm alive, and I love you Noah.

5 comments:

Elisa said...

What a great post...I probably loved it so much because I could relate to it so well. That first few weeks of having a baby is quite the roller coaster ride. Kayla had meat on her bones and I was still afraid she was going to die. Maybe it's the lack of sleep that makes new moms such worriers...but then again I guess I still am a worrier...maybe it's just being a mom. Happy Birthday Noah!

Maria said...

Time sure does fly by with kids. Noah is the sweetest little 3 year old. You and Pete have done a great job.

merideth said...

what a sweet post. i remember back then because that is kind of when we became better friends...yeah for me. what sweet boy noah is....happy birthday little guy.

Crystal said...

That is a funny story, and a great idea for a post. Happy Birthday Noah!

Rachael said...

I loved reading that! It's such a scary and exciting experience each time a baby is born.